I almost gave up today as I was putting the new 990 into my system.
4 hrs of trying to figure out how to get my DVD player to put out sound to the 990.I switched Coax cables, switched outlets even tried optical feed. Everything else worked, cd player and sat.I was ready to pack it in and pack up the 990 for return.(I'm to proud to ask questions so soon)
"OK, darn it, I'll try another DVD, Master and Comander".... GEEZ, wished I would have tried it 4 hrs sooner? I had my Marantz DV7600 set up for PCM instead of bitstream. AHHH crap, my mistake !! Everything works now.
Now in goes a DVD-A .I was realy intrested in the Bass Management feature as my Marantz DV7600 DVD Player does not apply BM to SACD and it's rather weak on DVD-A's .Movies are not my major focus, music is. In goes ELP's "Lucky Man". This was to be the defining moment or else.....I never had a complaint the way my HK 635 played this DVD-A ,that was until I listened to it on the 990.Much more open and crisp. Bass is tight, instruments more defined with open spaces between the artists.
I played some AIX records DVD-A's also. They put out the best mixes in hi rez.The 990 only got better with these.
If I have any grips at this realitivly early stage it would be the remote and the rather slim choices one has in set up.I'm trying to figure out, as I change volume, why it doesnt show on my monitor? Also the HK was so easy to access different settings.You could change speaker size, tone controls and individual speaker settings without going into set-up.
I tried the mic set up, not so good. I took out my Rad Shack SPL meter and got everything as I like it. No biggie though, I did the same with the HK635.
I guess for the price there has to be some give.I'll gladly trade the easy set up of the HK for the pristine sound of the 990. Thats what it all about isn't it?
I was also currious about the dac's in the 990 vs the CA 640D.I realy doubted the 990 could match up with the CA 640D.The HK dac'c couldn't. I never, while listening to CD's, used the dac's in the HK, the CA 640d's were that much better.Well, I tried both and the edge goes to .......the 990,......Darn it.I could have bought a much cheaper CD player if only I knew.
I've not had time to realy do an evauluation of DVD movies and such. I doubt I'll get much of a chance for awhile. I'll be busy listening to my DVD-A/SACD's for awhile.It almost like hearing them for the 1st time again.
The 990 is a keeper, I can't say that for some ID audio goods. I have had a little exsperence of listening to the wrong sources.Bought some speakers only to find out they were not any where close to what I perfer.
I can now say that the Outlaw 990 is what people here say they are.Maybee alittle light on menu choices but heavy on performence.
Finaly my upgraditis has been rewarded.It's purchases like this that makes me feel smart for once.I could leave it at this, but hey, I need another amp.