Quote:
Originally posted by garcianc2003:
My apologies Mr. Delius. In a clumsy attempt to make fun of this thread, which I honestly first believed to be a joke thread, I directed my sarcasm at you. That was uncalled for.

To me this was like poking fun at my neighbor for shaving his legs before running. I just don't get it, so I point and laugh. Also, it wouldn't matter how good a reason he had, I would never try it myself regardless of scientific proof. But I know my neighbor and know I can make fun of him. I should have been more thoughtful before poking fun at anyone here.

I respect your opinion and those of others in this forum and I'll save my comedy act for my friends and neighbors. Plus you beat me to the punchline, I had a good pineapple slices bit coming up... just kidding.
There is nothing "jokey" about "Clever Little Clocks", spreading Cream Electret on your radiator or writing positive messages with a Red X pen to improve the sound off your stereo system. It's as serious as a punch in the face.

Those like you who "don't get it", make fun of it, and the people who do get it. I feel justified in making fun of the people who don't get it, because they make fun of me, or those who do get it. Fair's fair. The most tangible difference between the two camps, those who don't get and those who do, is the people who do get it, have better sounding audio systems because they do. The people who don't get it won't believe that, because they equate it with trying to shave time off your speed by shaving your legs before a race. Or any other notion that they believe is silly and fallacious, like "crystal healing". Or that they believe is silly and fallacious, simply because it "sounds silly" and they don't get that either. Such as "Orgone energy" for example.

Therefore, anything that sounds silly and fallacious, gets lumped in the same pile (usually called "snake oil") by people who don't "get it". ie. I've told people to put aspirin tablets on their speakers to improve their sound, and they've responded by telling me they prefer pineapple slices. Or in your case, avocado. Then when I reject their ideas, they think they're even more clever by arguing that if people are going to try something as silly as putting aspirin on their speakers, that a pineapple avocado parfait is just as valid. And they go on to argue that if I don't try their brilliant "tweak", then I'm a hypocrite. Admit it, that was also going to be your next move, wasn't it?

Problem is, it isn't just as valid because there's a reason, well beyond placebo's, for why the aspirin will work, and another reason why the avocado pineapple parfait won't. The other problem is, those who do get it (the phenomena) have created products that they are trying to sell to those who don't get it. (Because those few in the world who do get and have improved their sound & video a hundred times over by it, number in the hundreds. Hard to put bread on the table with those kinds of numbers, let alone make a decent profit off of their hard pioneering research).

One common denominator among those who don't get it, is that they don't get a lot of things. But as irony would have it, they're the ones who believe themselves to be somewhat experts on the subject of audio. They believe that they are not and will not allow themselves to be ignorant or gullible fools, by accepting the validity of audio products if they don't or can't understand how they work. They believe those who buy esoteric products from Belt or Machina Dynamica are the ones who are the ignorant, gullible fools, and they believe that those who sell the products must be thieves and charlatans.

Even though they may like to see themselves as "audio atheists", this belief system they've built up is no different than any other religion. What makes it like a religion, is that it is based entirely on theory. However, if the theory is wrong, then it follows that the belief is wrong. You people are taking it on "faith" that the Belt/CLC phenomena is entirely bogus, because it hasn't been "officially" proven by peer reviewed scientific journals. But yet by the same token, you can't explain how we exist today, since the origin of existence hasn't yet been scientifically proven either. Even the origin of the universe is still very much a controversial subject, within the science community.

You fail to realize that phenomenon observed in empirical studies that has not yet been proven by "official" scientific standards, doesn't invalidate the phenomenon. If it did, science would never progress!! In fact, science has often progressed very slowly, and sometimes not at all, because of those scientific standards that humans have imposed. The standards themselves and the political climate surrounding them are not perfect, because they are human constructions. Despite empirical studies that showed the use of Orgone energy healing cancerous cells, the Food & Drug Administration (that bastion of scientific knowledge) in the 50's declared without inquiry or allowing the researcher to defend his work, that Orgone energy doesn't exist, and showing further evidence of prejudice & bias, even went so far as to have his entire body of work destroyed, eliminating decades of research. (Reich's story would really make a GREAT dramatic and inspirational movie, if any filmakers are reading this!....). Well if that wasn't politically motivated scientific ruling, what is?

In the well cited case of Joseph Lister, a British surgeon in the 19th century who argued for sanitization in the preparation of surgical patients, citing the notion that there were invisible airborne "germs" that were invading open wounds and killing people, he received mockery and ridicule over these "invisible germs". He was asked "Show us the germs!". He couldn't prove it until much later of course, because all he had was empirical evidence. Meanwhile, people were being killed by these ignorant surgeons, because others wouldn't listen to him. Yet on his ward, where he utilized methods of sanitization, many more survived on average. The lesson here is, "ignorance can kill".

Fortunately, audio is a little less dangerous. But there is more danger in rejecting unproven scientific phenomenon that can be readily repeated in experiments, than in accepting unproven phenomenon that might be invalid. Because if you reject it, then you may have rejected true science, and closed your mind to new discoveries, simply because your mind wasn't open enough or educated enough to understand how it could work. If you accept it and it isn't valid, you'll know soon enough.

I repreat: IN HUNDREDS OF MESSAGES, NO ONE HERE HAS YET TO TRY A SINGLE CLC CLOCK OR BELT PRODUCT OR TECHNIQUE! Even though I made it -real easy- for people to do, by citing that the products have a return guarantee, or posting a website link where you could download a technique (l-shape) and try to repeat the phenomenon in your own home. Yet all have attacked me, mocked me, ridiculed me, condemned me, and heaped scorn, contempt and derision at me, for defending these products and ideas.

There's nothing scientific or even "right" about this kind of behaviour. There certainly is nothing right about calling people and manufacturer's "frauds" and "scammers" because you don't get how these products can work. That's not only very irresponsible, but its illegal in most audio discussion forums, because its illegal in most countries (it's called "libel", which leaves you open to a lawsuit). Yet most here have repeated such libel against both members and audio manufacturer's, without remorse or thought. And this fact will stand as a marker for future Google researchers, as will my posts. (That's why I don't write them for anyone here, including myself). I think that given due time, I'm going to look like Joseph Lister (albeit a somewhat potty-mouthed version of Joseph Lister), and the rest here are going to look like... well, the term "asinine fools" comes to mind.

Back to the irony: I've always preferred introducing these advanced audio concepts to non-audiophiles. I find that they are not such rigid thinkers, because they haven't been brainwashed by audio magazines or engineering courses. They might have no idea how a cd player works, let alone silver rainbow foils. They don't argue with me until they're blue in the face that the products can't work, before they've even tried them. They don't get off on arguing theory, as so many net audio hobbyists do, and without a basis of knowledge of even conventional audio, they can't anyway. Yet despite not being trained audiophiles, they often do hear the effects of the foils or other products, even under blind conditions (not that I am advocating blind testing at all). So once positively recognizing the Belt phenomenon, in an instant, they become more advanced about audio than most people in the audio industry, let alone everyone on this forum. Like other Beltists, they "get it" (even if they don't understand it).

When you're trying to discern relatively subtle differences between compressed mp3 files (where one has been Belted), which you have put through digital processors, burned to CDs, and listened to on speakers at low volume because you're afraid of waking your wife & daughter, then yes, you may not "get it". I don't even guarantee that you'll "get it", if you download and apply 2 dozen of my L-shapes. What I do guarantee, because I know this to be true, is that when you do enough Belt treatments to your home environment (or CLC's, whatever your AA poison), and find that your system has completely transformed in sound quality, elevated way beyond the level of merely changing a single component, clear "night and day differences", then you have no choice but to "get it". That's where I was, years ago. All Beltists are familiar with the ignorance of the masses re: alternative audio products, because most (which doesn't include me), were one of them at some point. So right now, they're just waiting for everyone else to play "catch up". They realize that could take decades, particularly if they have to wait for researchers in other areas of science come across and recognize the phenomenon that Belt the audio engineer did 25 years ago.

Anyway, all this to say, apology accepted. And very big of you, I might add. Joseph has a can of pineapple slices waiting at the exit door as a parting gift....