Dead 990. Just before Christmas, my 3 year old 990 had the same symptoms described above; blue power light would come on for a few seconds, no display and would power off shortly thereafter. While I was not happy that I was going to have to use the 5 year warranty, it was much better than having to face the choice of paying for a repair or buying a new unit.

What I can say is that the Outlaw's customer service is absolutely outstanding. With a brief call to them, I had a detailed email within hours explaining how to return the unit for repair. I sent the unit out that same day, and had the unit back in my possession a mere 17 calendar days later. It was only this long because of 2 days lost due to the New Years holiday and the unit showing up 1 day before I expected it from Fed Ex, so I was not home to sign for it. Without those 3 lost days, this turn around was 14 calendar days. Bravo Outlaw Audio.

And it included a deck of Outlaw playing cards in the box. Now, while a box of playing cards is certainly not a big deal, how many other top name brand electronics would give you anything back with your unit when returned from warranty repair. With most other electronics companies, you would hope for a two week turn around, a repaired unit and not too much grief in getting these.

My only hopes now are that this problem does not repeat in another 3 years once the unit is out of warranty. Although, that would give me a good reason to upgrade to the 997 (or whatever other Outlaw processor is available at the time).

So while this note of a dead unit may make some potential Outlaw customers concerned about buying from them, I would suggest the following. All products have some level of quality / reliability issues with them. While you hope you don't get one of the few units with the problem, it is much better to know that the company stands behind their warranty and quickly addresses the problem. I work as a Quality Engineer for a Fortune 500 electronics component manufacturer and deal with this type of stuff every day. We win business and get repeat business because of our quality, but more importantly, because of our responsiveness to addressing quality issues when they come up. Outlaw Audio obviously has the same philosophy, and this has made me into a loyal Outlaw Audio customer.