I have been using a Niles IR remote system with a remote sensor near the screen and an IRB1 broadbeam flasher shining on the equipment rack in the rear of the theater. It was working OK (including the 990), but I "improved" it this evening by pulling out the IRB1 flasher and adding microflashers on the front of each piece of equipment. (Had to do that due to adding some equipment that couldn't see the IRB1 beam, and the IRB1 mounting looked kind of kludgy anyway).

Getting around to the point of all this, I decided to use the IR input jack on the back of the 990 instead of pasting an ugly microflasher on the front of the unit. It isn't working. I also have a microflasher connected to the IR output jack on the back of the 990 which is pasted to the front of another piece of equipment, and that flasher flashes but doesn't operate it's equipment either. If I bypass the 990 with that flasher and connect it directly to the Niles MSU140 it works fine. So... the signal is getting to and through the 990, but is not controlling the 990 and is defective by the time it comes out the 990's IR output jack.

These things almost always turn out to be operator error, not equipment malfunction, so what am I doing wrong? Is the 990's IR input compatible with the low-level outputs of the Niles MSU140?

Need help from someone who has successfully used the IR input on the back of the 990.