I am new at this stuff so please be patience with me as my question(s) may sound elementary to some.

I am currently having problems with my Denon SACD 2900 player and the installer of my HT system has baically told me SOL because it is 2 years young! As a result, I am in the market for a new one player. I have narrow my search to the Pioneer 59AVi unit. I would be using this unit with my AVM 20 amp / preamp and viewing on my Sony 60 inch LCD XBR HDTV. My system also has a Sony HD Tuner for viewing those very few HD stations which are awesome!

My question is twofold:

1: If the Pioneer has a HDMI connection, does this connection take place at the back of the TV or does it connect at the preamp? My reason for asking this question is because I believe the Sony HD Tuner is connected to what I further believe is the only HDMI connector on the back of the TV.

2: Is investing, this Pioneer is around $650, in a SACD worth it at this point? Especailly considering that major changes to this format could make these units obsolete. Lastly, I am told the lower the D/A Converter number the better the picture quality....Is this true?

thanks for any help and if you have recommendations on other players, I would be interested in knowing.

happy holidays!

Dave