Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Both DD+ and DTS-HD are also required to include legacy DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks, which can be passed over a coaxial or optical digital audio cable.
Sorry to quote an old post, gonk really has a handle on this but I believe the above is incorrect, and now that the machines are on the street we have more info. I don't believe there are legacy DTS or DD tracks on the disk but rather they are derived from the DD+ and DTS-HD tracks.

AFAIK the A1 has three options for audio output, from best to worse, HDMI PCM, analog 5.1, and S/PDIF (coax, Toslink). Here comes the fun part that took everyone by surprise, the S/PDIF output is the DD+ track decoded to PCM and then re-encoded in the machine to DTS. This really threw a lot of people for a loop, I believe it may be possible to send a DD+ derived DD signal over HDMI for decoding but if you have HDMI1.1 or higher you would probably be better off with the Hi-res PCM over HDMI.

It is questionable whether HDMI1.3 is really necessary anytime soon since all of these players decode internally. In fact if the decoding is moved to the Pre/Pro or receivers you will lose some of the player’s interactivity. I see a lot of b**thing and moaning about HDCP and the format wars some are legitimate concerns I agree. What gets lost in all of this is that both these new formats and HDMI are a pretty decent move up on the technological ladder, which as a hobbyist and enthusiast I find exciting.