Darn! It for sure even happens with DVDs. I thought before it was doing it with DVDs too but couldn't remember for sure. Yep, had the 990 on watching TV, I put a DVD in, the previews started up, eventually I got tired of the previews and hit menu and chose “Play Movie”. The movie started and sure enough it was in “Pro Logic II Movie”. I hit Dolby Modes once and it flipped to Dolby Digital. And from that point on it is stuck/forced to remain on Dolby Digital (even if I hit Dolby Modes again). Dolby Digital is correct, but why was it ever on Pro Logic II Movie.

I tried to replicate it by powering down everything, starting out watching TV and then going through all the steps. Now it always goes right to Dolby Digital.

So frustrating that a pattern can’t be found. I highly recommend everyone to check the processing mode when you think it should be on Dolby Digital (it might not be).

So now I can confirm it is doing it on both my DVD player and my digital set top box. Just can’t replicate it consistently. And this is not a defaulting situation like the manual states occurs for Dolby Digital 2.0 or PCM sources. DVD, LFE indicator is illuminated, etc.

Annoying.