Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
For DVD-Audio and SACD, you will need to use the multichannel analog. For DVD and CD, the optical or coaxial digital connection will work.
Thanks. Why am I not able to go from the DA-48AV's optical output into my 990? I assume the DV-48AV can push a PCM bitstream through this output just as it can through the audio portion of its HDMI output. Also, I have successfully routed the 5.1 audio from my Mac Mini optical output into the 990 for movie-viewing, so I know "it works". confused

Quote:
As an aside, the list price on the 48AV is $299. I suspect it's available for less ... OPPO BDP-83 supports DVD-A and SACD
The 48AV isn't made anymore, and therefore shows up on eBay for $50 to $100. It's a great low-risk way of checking out SACD and DVD-A audio without spending a ton of cash. That's my plan, at least.

If I like it, and the media doesn't prove to be too expensive given that it's a 99% dead (i.e., expensive collector's) format, I can definitely see a future upgrade to a more modern unit like the OPPO, which supports Blu-Ray as well.

-Jeff