This is the last post I will ever make on this subject...and yes, I heard that sigh of relief. wink

I don't believe there are problems with my unit, I know it to be fact. Other 990 owner's units are exhibiting the EXACT same quirks, so unless all of our units fell off the same pallet, this is a native firmware issue.

The response posted by Brad225 is typical of the problems encountered when trying to get to the bottom of this.

Number one, LFE distribution has nothing to do with rerouted bass in analog stereo inputs. LFE has only to to with specific digital formats. It is quite probable that the the response from tech support was 100% accurate on how the unit handles the LFE channel in with those formats. For two channel analog listeners wishing to incorporate a subwoofer, the subject of LFE is of ZERO consequence. The area of bass management is what should be of concern, specifically the lack of it.

Secondly, my experience with Outlaw tech support is that they are more than knowledgeable as to how the unit is supposed to work. I can call them up right now and they will gladly tell me how the bass management system works. The problem is between what is supposed to work and what is really happening are two very different things.

From all the private email messages I have received because of this topic, it is apparent to me that there is a lot of interest in the 990 from people without much knowledge of pre/pros. That's great, because the 990 would be an excellent product to begin exploring HT and music with. But they also have been given some bad advice by some users of this forum, Outlaw tech support, and diehard Outlaw defenders. The bottom line on this is this:

If you use two channel analog sources and expect the subwoofer to properly integrate into your stereo listing, you are in for a nasty surprise. Large or small speaker settings both have issues when it comes to using the sub on these inputs. Those of us who have a 990 already must limp by with a workaround of using the subs internal crossover (God help you don't have a passive sub), but think twice before you walk into the product thinking a monkey-rig workaround is as acceptable as a working product. And for petes sake, don't buy another component to compensate for the 990's problems!
Pioneer DV578A (SACD,DVD-A)
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub