Quote:
Originally posted by braidkid:
Now what is the big deal?
BM is a complex issue, and I think the Outlaws do us a disservice by not clearly documenting the intent of the BM features. For such a powerful facility, the few paragraphs in the manual do not shed a lot of light on the subject.

I think the majority of us would not be able to predict with any degree of confidence how the subwoofer output will function in any given scenario.

Whether in the manual, appendix to the manual or on the web site, a clearly written description, most likely in the form of a matrix or table, showing the intended influences (modes, settings, inputs, cross overs) and outcomes on the subwoofer output (BM, none, full range) would be a substantial improvement to the user manual which does not appear to have been written with a discerning user in mind.

A consequence of the lack of such a clear description are the questions, speculation, frustration, investigations and confusion that arise in this forum.

With a clear description in place we would be better placed to distinguish amongst:
  • Features which are not working properly
  • Features which were not well thought out
  • Features which do not meet our needs

Amongst this confusion, there are also the issues of acknowledged problems and problems being addressed in the next or future patches.

Those of us who work with or deal with complex software or hardware products know that there are always issues and limitations. Typically known issues are documented along with a patch or release, and that likely would have been helpful in this case (ie known problems with release 1.0).

With all the issues raised in this forum and the support calls the Outlaws have received, there is an internal list of reported problems, and of those, a subset would form an internal list of problems the Outlaws are working on.

In this forum we see a filtered copy of those lists scattered throughout numerous posts by different individuals. I suggest that this probably adds more confusion than clarity because the SNR can be pretty low without extensive research through many posts.

I would support a call for Outlaw to clearly articulate which are the acknowledged problems and which problems they are working on.

Outlaw's most knowledgeable and vocal 990 advocates most likely hang out in this forum, and providing them with clear documentation, statements and facts would certainly reinforce the voice they provide in the HT community.