I don't understand why the 990 does not have a memory for each input. Alright, the 950 was their first attempt but I really thought that if cheap receivers can have this feature, why not a an "audiophile" grade preamp. When we were shopping for a digital television, we made sure that each input selected had its own memory for picture settings, hoping to be able to bring out the best picture for each type of input, (yes we used a dvd test disc for set up for the dvd input and used it as a starting point for the other inputs). So why not have a seperate memory to bring out the best in each audio input selected? I do not enjoy trimming my 950's settings just to have to remember to reset them afterward. I guess I was spoiled with my H/K receiver that had a memory for each input, (the H/K receiver is 5 years old, so this is not new technology). The more I read about the 990 in these threads the more I am not sure going from the 950 to the 990 is actually a sonic improvement and if it has enough new features to warrant spending a thousand dollars to replace a 2.5 year old 950.