Conversely, I suppose that there are folks that would prefer their ‘fine tuning’ to remain after a power-down, power-up. Who is Outlaw to please?

To make both camps happy, what would really be needed are two sets of registers for the parameters being adjusted, a ‘Standard, Neutral or Default’ set and a ‘Custom’ set. One could then fiddle with the custom set to suit a particular DVD or other recording and return to the standard setting at any time.

Let’s take it a step further and have a storage device available that can store thousands of parameter sets for thousands of individual sources. When a particular source is played, the processor recognizes some unique sequence of data from that source and calls up the settings a user has determined are best for that particular source material.

Or one could have a printable label with an optical data set, a long barcode or other may suffice, and when one pulls a DVD off the shelf to play, one scans the data into the processor which now sets to the parameters encoded in the optical data print.

Now how much extra are we willing to pay for such versatility? The second paragraph above is about as far as I think most manufacturers would be willing to go. A piece of paper and a writing device are a good alternative far recording various parameters as a precaution after a lot of work on the general setup, whether one likes to tweak often or not.

From a philosophical point of view, however, I spent a good deal of time going for a setup that would be as accurate as possible overall within what is reasonable for me, then I live with what the audio creative/engineering team has done on each source recording. Although there are certainly times when I think that the variances in preferences, perception, environment and playback equipment between the mixing engineers’ setup and my setup make me think that something about a particular source is too much or too little in some aspect, such as level to the subwoofer or the comparative level of voice brightness in the center channel to the music and effects from all channels, just to name two variables. I often need to simply abandon my ‘picky listening’ mode and just lose myself in the enjoyment of the overall presentation created by the contributing artists and technicians on a given source. I find that I can psycho-acoustically accommodate a fair variance.