Quote:
Originally posted by jeffdavis:
Wouldn't bi-wiring to a speaker with a passive crossover network inside of it work out to be the same or similar to simply running a larger diameter cable between the amp and speaker? If this is true (just asking) then wouldn't the end result be less resistance on the wire? And isn't this a good thing?

I seem to remember reading a Canare, I believe that it was Canare, blurb about their 4S11 wire stating that each of the four strands was 14 awg and that if you were to attach two of those strands each to the positive and negative terminals on the speaker, then you would effectively have an 11 awg speaker wire. Would this not be an advantage to bi-wiring?

Jeff

i guess it depends on what you consider an advantage to be...

yes it will give you a lower guage aggregate which in turn could lead to less resistance, but that does not mean that the sound will change...

you would be better served to use multiple strands of higher guaged wire, than one low guage piece of wire. i am pretty sure the skin effect is not detectable in wire 18ga or thinner, but it could be 17. either way, 2 18s yielding a 15 combined would be better than one 15ga, assuming all else is equal and there is no short or anything...

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.