Soundhound:
Thank you for your detailed explanation of your work and how your system works to that end. My intent was not to inaccurately define your work, but to affirm that there are other professionals using monitors with passive crossovers. You have my utmost respect.

on the other hand...

[QUOTE] Originally posted by curegeorg:
if you are only getting low frequency signal of 400Hz then why is it necessary to further "limit" it with a 600Hz low pass filter that is doing nothing since the freaking signal is already 400 or below. that is just plain dumb. btw i wouldnt consider 400-600Hz as bass, perhaps you should label it more correctly as low frequency sound, or mid-range. "bass" i.e. what one would expect from a subwoofer is WAY lower than 400Hz...

Yeah... just plain dumb... but my mama told me that middle C is 262 Hz... and that's OK...

But the system configuration I described works very well. Since the passive crossover point for the bass driver circuit in my speakers is 400 Hz, I set the low pass filter on the EQ feeding the bass circuit to 600 Hz so as to provide some headroom for roll-off in the crossover design. The parametric equalizer I use has a low-pass filter, and I use it to limit the signal that the amplifier sees to the range it needs to be supplying this bass driver circuit. The passive crossover inside the monitor will further trim the signal sent to the bass drivers as per it's designed profile. I use an Outlaw 770 amp (200 watts, and >800 damping factor) for the bass circuit. The EQ also has a gain control which allows balancing of the bi-amp circuits.

Since I have used various amplifiers for the mid-high frequency driver circuit, it is useful to bi-amp. These amplifiers have included, monoblock valve (tube) amps, stereo valve amps, and the Outlaw 770 again. This experimentation with different amps has been easy, fun, and educational to me. When my friends come over (during visiting hours), we compare notes on the sounds we hear, and how different amplifiers can make us happy or sad .

As for what mentally challenged persons call bass... or midrange... or high freak'n frequencies... it really depends on what medication we are using at the moment. We often believe that the signal sent to the woofers (aka bass/mid drivers for a two-way speaker) is most easily referred to as "the bass signal" even though it might extend above 2500 Hz. How deluded is that? 2500 Hz is more than three freak'n octaves above middle C. Stupid is as stupid does.

[This message has been edited by AGAssarsson (edited May 16, 2004).]