Quote:
In this case, however, THX is not a universal standard, but again, a private certification, and as such they are the only ones to blame. If their standards are such that a crappy receiver can meet them, then it comes across more of a licensing program than an indicator of quality.
Do I read you correctly?! Are you actually stating that the designer, manufacturer and marketer of the product itself bears no blame or responsability??!! confused As to your second sentence; take a close look at the certification criteria lists that I posted here previously. Do you, anywhere see the word “quality” within the parameter list itself? NO?! Can you imagine, for a moment, exactly why that would be? I can. Because THX is not testing for quality! They are testing only for a given manufacturer’s product’s ability to meet specs!! The responsibility of quality of sound reproduction falls to the manufacturer, EXACTLY as it does for non-THX certified equipment!

Once again, Greg, you don’t have your facts straight. I can (and just did) empirically prove my points with real, hard, verifiable, provable FACTS. You can’t, or at least, up to the present, haven’t. Is it, perhaps, that you are, for what ever reason, unconcerned with reality, or that, again, for what ever reason, you are never wrong? As a personal favor, (even though you may feel I am undeserving) think about that. Please.

Quote:
While this by no means makes THX crap, the issue that I stand by here is that THX certification no longer precludes crap, like THX did when first introduced. The splintering of the certification, in my opinion, fosters consumer confusion and a watering down of its purpose, which is to ensure a quality experience for the discerning consumer.
Again, your assumption is that THX certification ever DIDpreclude crap”. The fact is, in 1990, at the start, THX certification only attracted manufacturers of the “High-End”, as the “High-End” manufacturers were the only ones that could, at the time, affordabley implement the specifications! And again, scan the certification criteria lists for where “crap” is a parameter whereby certification suitability is judged. Wait. Let me save you some time. DON’T BOTHER, ‘CAUSE IT AIN’T THERE!!

As to the first part of your second sentence, and your stated “opinion”; (and, make no mistake, personal opinion is the only thing you’ve had to argue with the entire course of this thread) I agree that there does, without question, definitely exist a great deal of “consumer confusion” surrounding the reality versus myth of exactly what “THX Certifiedtruly, FACTUALLY guarantees, and what it does not. And, what it guarantees to do, (and only what it guaratees to do) it does.

As to the second part of your second sentence; Once again, you proceed from a false assumption. Be so kind as to provide the source of the THX statement ofpurpose” that reads “is to ensure a quality experience for the discerning consumer”. In all the years I have followed the Home THX program, never have I read those words together in any issued statement. So please, be so kind.

Further, exactly how “discerning” can Mr. or Mrs. “Consumer” be if they purchase an audio product without first listening to it, basing their decision soley on some fancy “badge” stenciled on the front of the unit? If this is the case, it would appear that Mr. or Mrs. “Consumer” weren’t really all that “ discerning”, after all, in which case... why should it matter?

Wayne