Quote:
Originally posted by AGAssarsson:
I bi-amp my passive crossover speakers (B&W N803's) because:

[b]1)
I process the bass frequency signal (under 400 Hz) coming from my pre-amp with a parametric EQ. The room/speaker interaction has been analysed with the same True RTA program that SH has refered to in many posts. The EQ adjusted signal has to be the single most important improvement to the sound quality of my system.

2) The EQ'd bass signal is also limited to a 600 Hz ceiling (low-pass filter) so the amplifier is dedicated to low frequency signals only.

3) The amplifier serving the mid-high frequency speaker driver circuit is fed the full (non-EQ'd) signal, so the internal crossover does all the work. True RTA has shown that I do not need EQ for the mid-high frequency range. Since the midrange and tweeter transducers provide most of the spatial and subtle tonal information, I have chosen not to include a processor in this signal path. I could pass the signal through a high-pass filter, so the amplifier does not need to boost the full bandwidth, but I have concluded that this is not as critical. The actual current demand for the mid-high circuit is relatively small.
[This message has been edited by AGAssarsson (edited May 15, 2004).][/B]

Odd that you would spend all the extra time and money to bi-amp and change the signal when once it arrives at your speakers IT IS GOING TO GET CROSSED OVER ANYWAY! seems like a waste to me. bi-amping just sums the power inputs, you could achieve that with one, more powerful amp (if passive speaker network). i guess if you like it thats cool for you, but there is no way to get around your passive crossover unless you take it out. so regardless of what you do to the signal prior, it is going to end up the same in the end. i used to do some manufacturing analysis (not really audio design, but how to more efficiently make speakers get them to retailers, etc.) for polk audio and while on that project i had the chance to ask them about why would one bi-amp and then said its pointless for passiver crossover speakers. you could instead of buying two lesser amps for price A, instead buy one better one for price A and be better off. obviously i asked them more questions about it than that and they said more than that, but that sums up what they said. YOU ONLY BI-AMP ACTIVE CROSSOVER NETWORKS (NOT PASSIVE SPEAKERS), UNLESS YOU JUST WANT MORE POWER AND WANT TO UTILIZE EXISTING AMPS.