>>>Many who work in a studio environment (SH is certainly one) prefer to use monitors that emulate those found in live sound venues. I am not sure, but I would guess that movie sound editing would benefit from systems that are based on those found in large theaters.<<<

I am only involved in music, not sound effects or dialog, and the vast majority of the music I work with is completely orchestra based, usually a minimum of about 50 players. The monitors I use must perform well with music, not sound effects. The monitor speakers used on music scoring stages are not in any way related to "public address" or "live" types - those are a completely different type of speaker intended for a completely different purpose - to project audio great distances at great volume in large spaces, even outdoors.

The final mix of a movie is performed in a movie theater enviornment, and the speakers used in these "dubbing" stages are exactly what you would find in a very good movie theater. These speakers are more like "public address" speakers than not because they must play extremely loud and be rugged enough to not fail, which would cause expensive down time.

The requirement of a final movie mix that includes the sound effects and dialog is to make the film sound right in a typical movie theater - "accuracy" is not even on anybody's radar. The point of a music recording session is to record music as accurately as possible - the reqirements of the dialog and sound effects are not taken into consideration at all. The monitor speakers used for the music mix do not have to fill a movie theater sized room, and are about as far from "public addires" speakers as you can get.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited May 15, 2004).]