Brubacca: yes, I could understand and agree that a more expensive unit could be made with much better components and quality control. NO DOUBT about that!! Since I tend to keep my gear a long time, that would be a positive selling point for me.

But, from a technical standpoint, why should the sound that you get from your mucical CD player or cable box sound any different UNLESS there is some "pre emphasis" or surround sound algorithmic differences in the pre processor/ receiver?

The signal going to your receiver or pre processor should be amplified in a linear form. With the specified amplifier frequency bandwidths and THDs, either the above sound modifications are being made in the unit or the listener is simply full of BS. Linear amplification means just that. The output is a linear representation of what the input was, just more power.

Multiple double blind receiver/ amplifier tests have shown that educated listeners can NOT tell one amplifier from another, IF THEY DON'T KNOW WHICH THEY ARE LISTENING TO BEFOREHAND!

So, I am leaning toward one of the newest receivers (with the features that I want) with 2 or 3 Outlaw monoblocks to drive the fronts and maybe the center from pre outputs.

Of course, I'm still open to the argument that convinces me that there really is some profound benefit for a separate pre processor.

Anyone else want to give a try?