What you presumably get is better quality of sound. People wold argue that a $20,000 Meridian system will sound much better than a $1,000 Denon system. People would argue that a Outlaw 990/Amp package will sound better than a Denon 3805 (the 3806 is being announced soon w/ HDMI). It is not about what it does differently, but how it does it.

You also supposedly get better quality hardware.

I have a friend that purchased the current generation Denon 3xxx AVR when I purchased my B&K equipment (about 8 years ago). He has had his repaired twice in that time. I have not had any repairs.

I say presumably and supposedly because different people hear different things. The honest truth is that the biggest determining factor is the actual room that you put it in. Any system can sound drastically different from room to room.

warning.. warning..
This will take us to a whole other philosophical debate about separates .vs. receivers! or Japanese Mass Market .vs. specialty brands... Lets just say that it has been hashed and rehashed.

Good Luck,

Charlie