Quote:
Originally posted by Owl's_Warder:
I've seen several people begging to have HDMI switching, but my question would be why? As I understand it, the only difference between DVI and HDMI is the latter also includes more pins for an audio signal (TBD) to share a single cable. Why on earth would you want to have a pre/pro just pass that audio signal to your display? Doesn't that defeat the whole point of having a pre/pro in the first place?
Agreed HDMI switching is basically the same as DVI switching in today's world. However, the audio signals aren't what are carried on those extra lines, I believe they are control signals that describe the destination's capabilities. In fact I believe you could send an HDMI 1.0 signal signal through a DVI cable to an HDMI destination and still get audio. The point I'm trying to make is the extra lines have nothing to do with the audio data itself. The physical HDMI standard has been locked for some time it is the protocol (software/firmware) layer that keeps changing.

Personally I have no real desire for DVI or HDMI switching in a Pre/Pro but I have even less of a desire to keep all those analog video connections, but that is another rant. smile The real potential and I think you realize this, although it is not clear from the above post, is the high bandwidth interface into you Pre/Pro. This is very important for the existing Hi-res audio formats (SACDs & DVD-A) and the upcoming Hi-res versions of DD and DTS. It also enables the video scaler to move into you Pre/Pro. These are the reasons I’m chomping at the bit to get HDMI “inputs”.