Quote:
Originally posted by Rene S. Hollan:
And what is a mixing console but software, in the digital domain? Why should I have to buy an outboard unit, that works in the analog domain, when all the hooks for a digital mixer are already there?
Why should I have to buy PC when there's a computer built into my microwave oven? Even in this age of software based devices, there are still different tools for different uses. All the hooks for a mixer are not in the 990, despite what you may want to believe. I suppose some one could design a HT pre-pro that has the functionality of a studio mixing console built into it, but the demand for such functionality is so non-existant that no one has done it. Zero, zip, nada.
Quote:
DD decoding is also often available, making it a pre/pro in my book, though the legality of doing that is questionable. Finally, the difficulties of doing all this in software and not DSP firmware, are that a very powerful processor is required, which means a noisy fan, and all that entails.
And is this the product model that you're holding the 990 up against for comparison? A noisy fan and questionable legality? Honestly, rather than have a HT pre-pro with those problems, you really would be better off with a mixing console. It's what recording engineers use when mixing (or re-mixing) movie soundtracks, so it is the right tool for what you want to do.