Facinating discussion...I for one would like to have the ability to variably downnmix C info to L/R from a discrete source; whether the 990 has mixing capability I could not say, luckily the outlaws know the answer!
My maganpan 20 ribbons L/R far outpurform the maggie CC2 Quasiribbon (though that limitation is made less by using a ICBM in recombine to remix 200hz and below to the bass panels of the biamped mains.) Of particular use would be when guests arrive for the film, I would like to have a macro to give, say, 90% intact center, and for my wife and I only, I'd like just, say, 20%; the rest mono to the mains.
I am thrilled to see the post from Scott stating that they are working on a software update and are reviewing issues talked about here. My hat is tipped to them for that...as I have written before, I am REALLY disappointed with the display vidio out and panel info (no signal type info such as PCM 48k/44.1, or DD 2.0/5.1, no current mode display, this makes it difficult to choose what mode is appropiate. I had this with the 950!). This is such a important issue for me due to my not having a way to see the 990 from listening position, and rely instead on a remote dedicated CRT, though walking behind speakers to look at the panel doesn't help either as no data type info is there either. I had been so upset about this that I considered putting back and returning the 990 during my 30 days. Thing is, it DOES sound great; better than the 950 for movies, really good for PCM upsample. My early concerns about DD sounding poor appear to be related to incorrect spaeaker distance settings due to my using a outboard digital xover on the mains...still no time to evaluate DTS (new baby and all)