Quote:
Originally posted by Rene S. Hollan:
Any one based on a Linux platform and conforming to the GPL. TiVo comes to mind, though strictly speaking that isn't an A/V company.

RokuLabs, which makes an HD playback device (HD1000 a.k.a. Photobridge) is another, though the Photobridge (don't let the name fool you, it will play HD MPEG2 video streamed from a PC, PS and TS) only has digital and two channel analog outputs.

Finally, there is a bunch of free (as in GPL) sofware available to do DD decoding on a fast enough PC (not requiring a DSP), though that starts to run up against possible patent violations.
"...isn't an A/V company", "patent violations".

Rene, you're not helping your case. Those companies are not your typical US or Japanese receiver/pre-pro manufacturers, nor are they licensors of surround processing technology like Dolby Labs and DTS are. None of the regular A/V companies are offering products designed to accomodate hackers.
Quote:
I don't want the dialog 1/4 of the way right from the centre creen to appear at the centre of the screen.
It doesn't. I named two sources with panned/off-centre dialogue that I tested and neither of them exhibited any collapse towards the centre when I was using a centre speaker (vs configuring the centre speaker as 'none'). Yes, yes, your "mathematical analysis" shows that it does. But you really ought to get an actual centre speaker and try it out in the real (physical) world.