Quote:
Originally posted by Rene S. Hollan:
Obviously, I won't have that capability.
OK, so since a centre speaker won't give you the capability you've been proposing, it will have to be some sort of mixer; either outboard or built into your surround processor.
Quote:
But, if remixing were implemented as I propose, it would have (a) provided a workaround for the no centre speaker bug; (b) allowed fine-grained control over the front soundstage which might be useful for some; (c) been easier to document since remixing would be orthogonal to source format.
Just my opinion, but: (a)The bug should be fixed and not worked around; (b)Spreading (fine-grained or otherwise) a discrete centre channel to three speakers is a bad idea because of reasons mentioned previously; (c)What are people going to documenting in their home theatres?
Quote:
I'm of the opinion that this is just a software implementation issue, and not constrained by hardware. I'd like to know if that assumption is not correct.
I'm guessing that the hardware is already in place, since discrete centre and surround content can be re-routed to the front speakers (when centre and surrounds are set to 'none'). The only thing you need is some sort of gain stage in the re-routing circuit to vary the amount and/or volume level of sound being re-routed to the front L/R speakers. Basically a mixer, preferably done in the digital domain, placed right after the DD or DTS signal is decoded/unpacked but right before bass management and time alignment.
Quote:
But, if the 990 has all the capabilities to provide such a mixer in the digital domain, why not expose them to hackers?
Because home theatre manufacturers and users are not interested in wanting to "experiment with front channel remixing". They just want to watch a movie, where dialogue comes from the screen and not in triple-mono from all three front speakers.