OK, I'll bite. When you do get a centre speaker, how will you suddenly have the capability to variably bleed discrete centre content into the L/R channels? Is the centre channel somehow going to change the processing capabilities of the 990 to add the remix function that you want?

Obviously, I won't have that capability.

But, if remixing were implemented as I propose, it would have (a) provided a workaround for the no centre speaker bug; (b) allowed fine-grained control over the front soundstage which might be useful for some; (c) been easier to document since remixing would be orthogonal to source format. I'm of the opinion that this is just a software implementation issue, and not constrained by hardware. I'd like to know if that assumption is not correct.

A centre channel speaker would, of course, eliminate the need for the hack, but the ability to experiment with front channel remixing would be handy to see the tradeoff between sweet spot imaging and off-axis centre channel anchoring.

Yes, yes, an analog mixer could be used to do this. But, if the 990 has all the capabilities to provide such a mixer in the digital domain, why not expose them to hackers?

I'm also guessing that the inability to specify no center speaker is a software bug with the model. Does anyone know otherwise?