Quote:
Originally posted by Rene S. Hollan:
You appear to distinguish between special cases and the generic case, calling them different things.
No, I'm distinguishing between matrix decoding (where a centre channel is extracted from other channels) vs downmixing (where the centre channel is combined with other channels). You can buy an inexpensive analogue mixer from pro-audio companies like Behringer to do the type of downmixing you're interested in. However, it won't do matrix extraction. They're two different things.
Quote:
Add a center channel speaker when you have dialog slightly left or right of centre (which can be properly imaged with two front speakers for a listner in the sweet spot), and the dialog moves more toward the center.
I just tried this with a couple of sources that have dialogue moving across the front channels and the dialogue did not move towards the centre. One was a discrete 5.1 source (Monsters, Inc) and the other was a 2-channel source (Bad Day at Black Rock). I compared playback with and without a centre speaker. You may have a problem with your system.