Quote:
Originally posted by Rene S. Hollan:
Sanjay took my quote about remixing the front three channels out of context. I said I agreed it was useful for matrixed sound formats. I also believe it is useful for other formats when there is no centre speaker. So, if you can do it at all, why not be able to do it all the time for a 2.1, or 4.1 setup?
What particular "context"? Apparently you think this features is useful "all the time" (see quote above).

I'll ask again: who is it you're agreeing with? Who else in this thread has said that remixing the front three channels is "useful for matrixed sound formats"?

2.1 and 4.1 set-ups are already covered by initial speaker configuration. The centre channel content is reduced by 3dB and split equally to the front L/R channels. Nothing further needs to be done.

You seem to be under the impression that "remixing" is happening during PLII matrix decoding, when that's simply not true. Only when a centre channel is being extracted can the extraction level be chosen by the user. This is very different from a remix function that would bleed discrete centre channel content to other speakers on a variable basis.
Quote:
Contrary to what you say, the 990 does not support this in non-PLII modes because it does not allow specification of no centre channel.
That's a bug, which Outlaw Audio will hopefuly deal with. The solution is to fix that bug, not re-mix the source material.
Quote:
The need to remix stems from the speakers available, and not any defect in the discrete multichanel formats.
There is no "need to remix stems". If the problem is the speakers, then that's what should be addressed. The solution is a centre speaker that actually does the job, not some re-mix function that spreads the discrete centre content across three speakers.
Quote:
But, if you allow 0-100% remix in PLII why not in all modes, when there is a centre and 100% when there is none?
Because there is no re-mixing (i.e., re-directing discrete centre content) going on in PLII. This is a feature you've invented in your imagination and are now lamenting for not applied to other modes. It doesn't exist.

And for situations where you have a discrete centre channel but no centre speaker, then 100% of the centre channel content is sent to the L/R speakers.
Quote:
The cylindrical dispersion patterns of planar magnetic speakers are not a "problem"
Hey, I'm just going by what you described earlier. Any centre speaker that's essentially useless for off-axis listeners is a real "problem" for any home theatre.