Quote:
Originally posted by Slee_Stack:
...It is easy for me to tell the difference between CD and high-rez. While I understand that many may not, or don't care to, acknowledge the notably superior formats, I hope that both (or at least one) format survives....

To give credit where credit is due, in all instances where you are listening to a re-release of an older recording on either SACD or DVD-A, you are hearing either a complete re-mix of the album or a re-transfer of it, and in both cases the engineers are taking advantage of a lot of signal processing and mixing capabilities that did not exist even 10 years ago. In some instances you are hearing a multi-channel presentation of what was originally a two channel stereo album, and this will make all the difference in the world.

It would be fantastic if there was a box that mastering engineers could use with the label "high resolution 24 bit 192Khz" that they could run the signal through to make the imporvements you are hearing, but in reality you are hearing a lot of work and skill being done behind the scenes. SACD and DVD-A are merely the storage mediums, regardless of what the marketing types would like consumers to believe.