I received my new 990 yesterday morning and spent most of the day hooking it up and experimenting with it.

I am very impressed with the features and sound quality so far. I have tested each of my input devices (CD, DVD, HD-SAT, Phono, and XBOX), and found the setup easy and the sound quality to be an improvement in every case over my old Adcom GTP-600, which I had been very happy with.

The biggest difference I noticed was in the base reproduction. The dual 12" woofers on my Infinity Kappas never sounded so good.

I did notice something about the bass that concerned me. When I ran the auto setup, everything appears to have been recognized correctly and the settings appear to be alright; however I noticed that when the subwoofer test was run it drove my subwoofer amp straight into clipping mode.

I have never seen the clipping lights come on before; so I am wondering why the test tones would produce this effect. Is this a symptom that my amp is just barely capable of driving my passive subs?

I am thinking of re-running the subwoofer test with the extended bass mode of my Infinity Kappas turned off to see what difference that would make. My understanding is that in extended bass mode, these speakers can sometimes drop below 1 ohm impedance.

I plan to run some tests and try manually configuring the unit with a meter and some test disks this weekend. If any of you guys have some suggestions about configuring the crossovers please chime in (I currently am using small for each of my speakers and the default 100 hz crossover).

My amps and speakers are listed below:
Main L&R: Infinity Kappa 9.1 II (bi-amped) driven by Adcom GFA-545 (100 watts)
Center & Surrounds: Infinity Kappa Video II driven by Adcom GFA-2535 (center bridged to 100 watts, surrounds at 60 watts)
Subwoofers: Infinity Kappa 9.1 II (bi-amped) driven by Adcom GFA-5500 (200 watts)