Quote:
Originally posted by 73Bruin:
Curtis:

As I understand it, you are attempting to work around the single sub x-over limit of the 1050 by this proposal. Is this correct? If so it is very a interesting concept for those of us with large gaps between the capabilities of our fronts and center/surrounds.

My concern, is that the only way I can understand what you are proposing will work is if your home built sub can simultaneously handle both line and and speaker level inputs and correctly sum them. Is this actually the case? How do you plan on setting the hipass x-over on your sub? For example if you have set the 1050 to xover the surrounds and center at 100hz, and you set the hipass x-over to 60. Do you expect that your fronts will get the surround signal between 60 and 100? How will you test to make sure this works?

Do you know if all subs that are capable of handling both line and speaker level inputs work this way? If so, then I would also be interested in doing this with my Velodyne which has similar connections.

Jeff: I don't understand your comments, in this case. I can understand a general feeling that biwiring is snake oil, but I don't think Curtis is doing this for the traditional reasons.

Granted that my reaction towards bi-wiring is often knee-jerk ( ), but even in this case, I'm not sure it's a great idea. If one part of the signal's going through a crossover and the other isn't, the quality of the result will greatly depend on the type of crossover being used.

In general, I'd recommend running the full signal through the crossover to keep everything consistent.

Trust me, I know the temptation to bi-wire. My Aerial 10Ts are bi-wirable too, and I hate leaving jacks unused. However, since the benefit is likely to be nill and the cost (both financial and in terms of having more wires laying about) would be steep.

Take care,

Jeff