I just found the "Secrets" article. Maybe this is part of the answer to my question:

" If you have a DVI source and DVI display, there will be no problem. If you have a DVI source and an HDMI display, again, no problem. If however, you have an HDMI source and a DVI display, the below-black video information may be lost in the translation. There is a bug in the Silicon Image HDMI transmitter that pops up when converting YCbCr to RGB"

So - if I use a DVD player with DVI and my Infocus projector with DVI I'm *OK*...
but -*should* that be an improvement on RGB coax w/ RCA connectors on both? I ask that because (back to the Secrets article and elsewhere posted in this thread): "DVD data are YCbCr, and are converted to RGB in the player for the DVI output. "(Notwithstanding quality issues of the DVD player or projector) (And, BTW, I will take no offense if anyone criticizes the Infocus unit)

Further reading of the article and posts here seem to tell me that HDMI is the only full digital method of transmitting the video without conversion to analog RGB - correct?

Also - the "Secrets" review of the OPPO Digital OPDV971H makes that DVD player sound pretty good for $200. Anyone had any experience with that unit?