Allan,

The auto EQ does not have fixed center points, nor does it have fixed 'Q'. However, the manual EQ option has both fixed center points and fixed 'Q', allowing the user to select amount of boost/cut at each of the 8 fixed point frequencies (which are spaced 1 octave apart, starting at 63 Hz.

I found the auto EQ generally (I'm no expert, and have not spent too much time with this because it takes more than enough time to set up a decent HT and I prefer to use the time to affect tweaks that I know are valid ones) to be akin to a DSP matrix type of effect rather than a tool that 'corrects a room'.

I only compared auto to manual because I had the time and computer set up and was curious. I find the Denon manual all but useless. All things considered, I don't find the on-board digital PEQ of the Denon to be the right approach.

Again, I think Outlaw is right. DSP setup/parametric EQ is an idea that will eventually evolve into a great feature for an affordable price. Just not yet. Just my opinion.

There is no substitute for room treatment along with sub/sat placement angle and distance tweaks in a properly constructed room...before EQ. Auto EQ, to those uneducated on the subject, will give the false impression that it will fix the room, placement, etc.

Bosso