I suspect that some of you may be getting weary of hearing my take on this, and for that I apologize, but there are a few thoughts that I think are of some value here.

DVI started appearing on displays a couple of years ago, and there is a continually growing installed user base of DVI display owners for whom digital video switching is very valuable in either form. (By the way, Runco will be using DVI on its upcoming models .) For those displays, the 990's DVI switching is of great value. And for HDMI displays, DVI switching still allows video switching.

HDMI's great benefit over DVI is the ability to carry audio. However, that ability has not been properly developed yet. Big corporations like JVC or Panasonic can tuck an HDMI 1.1 input into a receiver and leave consumers with a product that won't work with the final standard (SACD, high definition video discs), but a company like Outlaw would be crazy to do so.

When will HDMI audio be truly ready? That depends in large part on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. If both formats roll out on schedule, HDMI will need to be pinned down in the next 12 months. If the two do merge, as is rumored, it could take longer - possibly 2 more years or more - to get all the details nailed down. By then, the 990 will be at least 2 years old. It's 7.1 analog input will provide an avenue for compatibility, and a future generation unit can have HDMI integrated.