There is no question in my mind that HDMI will prevail. There are far to many big $ companys putting big $'s behind, and pushing for HDMI. Most have incorporated HDMI into there product lines already. These companys with all there influence, and power will not let HDMI fail even if something else was proving a better choice. History teaches this, just look at DTS, and Pro logic, DTS was clearly the better format, but with Dolby labs influence, and money, DTS was almost destroyed and sent into digital heaven. Also, as previously mentioned Beta and VHS, Beta was and still is clearly superior to VHS. Although the bigger question for me at this time is when will HDMI be a viable formate. I also see no way for the outlaws to be able to upgrade the 990 to HDMI. If you look at the rear panel there are no removable panels as is with the new Parasound 7100 and a few others. Also, on another note the ability to add room EQ after the fact is in question for me. I feel that room EQ is currently available at a very high level of quality, take the Audyssey labs multi EQ system for instances www.audyssey.com . The Sherwood piece that the 990 was designed after is soon to be upgraded and re-released with room EQ as well as many other advances, HDMI will not be included however, there will be an upgrade panel on the back of the unit for an HDMI upgrade in the future.The 990 appears to be dated before it has even hit the warehouse. I still want to give the 990 a test run in my system, but I am a little discouraged with the current features of the 990. I am currently waiting the arrival of the promising Parasound 7100 for review as well.