Call me un-informed, though I'd like to be not so. [I'm Mr. Newbie] and I'm just trying to understand. I read these threads several times a day and get additional input (no pun intended). Posters to these threads discuss various protocols and why they will or will not get a 990 based (in part on this). I dunno. Gonk makes good points other, too.

This AM gonk writes:
"I think most people are wishing for HDMI for the audio, not realizing that the current HDMI standard for audio is still evolving. As you say, DVI can switch HDMI video."
So I have to wonder:what about the audio when you switch? How to do that and is it important?

Kevin brings up:
"HDMI might never be able to pass SACD/DSD, and even if it does, it can never be a jitterless connection like i.Link can be. For those of you not into SACD, that's fine. But I am. i.link passes all current digital audio *now*. HDMI doesn't, and might never be able to either"

Now a new issue: i-link.

Is there a review/comparison I can go to in order to learn about all these issues and make an informed decision. No one wants to get a new pre/pro which would become obsolete soon. frown
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3