Outlaw didn't release numbers, and I don't expect them to do so in this case either. The first shipments of 950's were air-freighted to the US due to development delays, so the initial batches were probably smaller, but the initial shipment of 990's is coming in by freighter - I doubt they would have loaded up a slow boat with a "small" batch. I'd be afraid to even hazard a guess at what an initial production run means in terms of number of units manufactured, though.

Waiting lists like this have become common for manufacturers that operate via the Internet-direct model. You can see the exact same approach used by SV Subwoofers and AV123. It's similar to the way that traditional manufacturers will allocate certain numbers of units to their dealers (many of whom have waiting lists for customers in their area). The benefit here is that, unlike many brick & mortar dealers, companies like Outlaw don't ask for your money until they have product in hand and ready to ship. In contrast, I've had dealers want full payment months in advance to guarantee me a spot on a waiting list - and those dealers are often alloted initial shipments of two to five units.