Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
... Outboard EQ's in the home theater environment are very rare - you have up to eight channels (seven speakers plus a sub) to contend with, so the cost and complexity of adjustment are significantly more than in a stereo arrangement ...
Like many, I use the Outlaw 950 for both surround (mostly movies/TV) and 2-channel music sources such as CD's, etc...

I believe it is a rational choice to EQ the main L/R speaker channels, and let the others fend for themselves. Since most 2-channel is best listened to in Stereo Bypass Mode the value of EQ for the other channels is less (for me). In Stereo Bypass Mode the mains are sent the full signal, where bass management and room EQ can be of great benefit. While you can incorporate an ICBM to handle this, the main L/R speakers are usually the most full range and musical in the system. The new 990 with it's balanced outputs, time delay and volume calibration set-up, would seem to make incorporating a good external EQ a relatively simple task.

Behringer also makes the DEQ2496 which is a very high resolution digital signal processing tool for EQ (and tons of other stuff) and a 61 band RTA, all for a cost of about $300. It has balanced I/O and can be used for stereo sources.

I use an older analog Simetrix unit for parametric EQ, and Rane also makes a fine analog parametric EQ. The new 990, with balanced outputs, provides a lot of options for including professional gear in the signal path that was not as easy to achieve with unbalanced connections. I, for one, am very happy to have the option of balanced outputs. The only feature that could have been better, would have been a balanced processor loop I/O, but that is asking far more than the Outlaw model could reasonably support. Thanks Outlaw.

Allan