Due to a force of ‘have to stop and deal with’ hitting the 30th day on STB return, I went ahead and put in my request for a tech to evaluate my Sony 60” LCD, which I have some issues with. I requested a tech with the ability to deal with service modes and capable of evaluating test pattern results wished to check my LCD 3-screen alignment (we did not even get to that).

What I got today was a guy, who sat down flipped to OSD, shoved my brightness level to 100%, and asked me if I had tried that yet!. Then he jumped into contrast and ran it up to 100%. And asked me if I ever tried watched the display using ‘vivid’ mode….(the professional reviewer documented worst, - factory pic mode option available…and I agree) because most people think that looks the best.
(What if this joker left my new RP CRT set up in this manner!!)

When I explained that I KNEW user controls could not affect the issue I was having (lack of detail and contrast in darker scenes) he replied:

1)Its probably your DVD player its plays darker than satellite.
2)And there’s really not much you can do in a service menu, its has very little control. Most of your controls are in the user menu’s.

He then casually commented that he’d never been to ‘school’ on this set. And he would call Sony and see if they could give him a list of things that might help in the service menu on Monday, although he doubted it if it couldn’t be fixed using ‘user controls’. And said ‘I’ll be back”.

I had grand central going on and no time for this. How do I politely call the store and tell them ….this guy is not coming back and touching my service menu with a 10-ft pole.

I sure he’s very handy for helping HO’s who get their screen on the wrong video feed.