Quote:
The Model 990 converts the sample rate of the left/right front channels of digital audio sources from 20 bit/48 kHz to 24 bit/192 KHz. Contrary to some audio myths this does not "increase the resolution" of the recording as you cannot create bits where none existed. However, what it does do is move the audio portion of the signal away form the "brick wall filter" that is usually present at 22 kHz. Without getting too technical, these filters often affect the phase integrity of the audible high frequencies. An up-sampled signal helps to restore the proper phase relationships of these extreme musical highs. This feature is particularly valuable for those with high-resolution loudspeakers, where you will hear a discernable improvement in the top end
As I stated in a previous post, the Sherwood P-965 sounded a bit edgy to me when I auditioned it in my system. It sounds like others may have felt that the high frequency needed some fine tuning as well. This is good news as the Sherwood P-965 is a very nice piece, and I would have kept it if it wasn't for the musicality of the unit. The improved bass management with the 990 is enticing as well, and should add some further fine tuning flexibility to the lower end in various set ups. I would have liked to have seen the same remote as the Sherwood uses be included with the 990. I found the Sherwood's remote to be very enjoyable and easy to use. Given the trade offs though, I would prefer a better sounding and more flexible piece, then one with a fancy remote. I do have a few questions, one having to do with the upgrade to room EQ when an acceptable EQ system is available.One of my questions is, what would constitute acceptable as far as a room EQ system goes, and what is wrong with the current versions of available room EQ? I have to say that the units that I have tested with room EQ, I found there to be a very noticeable and much improved difference in the surround modes, both with music and with movies. No matter how hard I tried to duplicate or improve the sound over the auto room EQ, I couldn't. Of course, and unfortunately for me, the two units that I am speaking of are high end receivers that I just couldn't get into from a musical standpoint. On to another question. Why would ones position on the reservation list not be made available to them? The type of hype and anxiety that I have witnessed over the last 2 weeks created by the Outlaws withholding of information is not very pleasing. I can understand not providing shipping dates times etc... because of the variables that are involved, but other information that is being and has been with held is concerning.