As for the bass management on the 7.1 analog input, I don't think we know exactly how it is being implemented - I have no doubt that whatever solution is in place works for all 7 full-range channels, but whether it is an analog 80Hz crossover similar to the 950 or an option to convert to the digital domain and apply bass management (similar to what Anthem has done) is still unknown.

I've been poking around a bit on the HDMI issue over the last few days. In theory, it's a great idea - audio and video in a single connection, and the video side is very well nailed down. The problem appears to be implementation of the audio side. Dan points out that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will use HDMI for audio and will support some evolution of Dolby Digital and DTS over HDMI. The problem is that despite some of the trade show press, the formats and the audio signal standards are not pinned down yet. Look at my post near the bottom of page 5 for some of the neest reasons that this is the case - HD-DVD is running behind on finalizing the standard, which prevents hardware designs from being completed. Based on what Outlaw said in their newsletter and some other things I've read, it looks to me like Outlaw had to choose between three options: wait indefinitely for a guaranteed final standard for audio over HDMI (which could take a year or more, depending on how the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray issue shakes out over the next six months or so, leaving them with no new processor during the wait); include today's HDMI hardware and software and hope that the hardware will support the final software (a gamble that could backfire and strand thousands of customers on a platform with HDMI that is only good for video switching); or use DVI to cover digital video switching and get the 990 into people's equipment racks this spring so they can enjoy it during the months and years it takes for this all to shake out.