Hello Pat, gonk, Jeff, merc, soundhound, etc!

Quote:

Originally posted by me
I'll be waiting for i-link or some other DIGITAL support for DVD-A and SACD before upgrading my 950. I-link isn't new state-of-the-art anymore. It's been in receivers for over two years.

Response by soundhound
DVD-A and SACD have failed in the marketplace, and it is only a matter of time before the record companies pull the plug on the formats for good.

Blame it on two competing formats and really stupid marketing that stressed sound quality "improvements" that were not noticable to the average consumer, over the obvious improvement afforded by the multi-channel aspect.

CD is going to be the only game in town for the best quality audio I'm afraid.

I'm afraid I will not be purchasing a 990. My only need is a device that decodes Dolby Digital and basic ProLogic, and the 950 fills that need quite nicely.
Hey there, Soundhound,

A few years ago when you visited my home to hear my 950 system you noted it sounds better in pure stereo without any artifacts caused by Dolby Pro or DTS Neo processing. As good as that processing is, it sometimes takes something away from the stereo sound. You said at the time, you weren't surprised that regular stereo sounds more accurate and is able to better represent the sound engineer's intention, compared to the stereo after it's been Dolby-ized or DTS-ified. That's one reason I hoped DVD-A and SACD would catch on, back then. But what you said just now, above

> CD is going to be the only game in town for the best quality audio I'm afraid.

would mean, if ture, that we're stuck for the time being with CDs, a technology that's over 20 years old!

Best,

Will