Thanks for the feedback.

Gonk - thanks for the clarification. I got hung up on all the "on-line" benefits of DSD output with the Onkyo 885.

Just to clarify, I am planning on buying two units... one to use primarily for audio (1000 or so CDs/SACDs) and EITHER a Blueray or HDDVD player for HT use. I have no problem waiting to make the BR/HD-DVD decision (just want everything to be DD+, TrueHD and DTS-HD "ready" - that is why I went with the Onkyo 885). In the interim, would you still recommend the Oppo 981 instead of the 980? I was thinking of using the 980 as my long-term cd/sacd player and hoping the video from the 980 coupled with the Reon in the processor would be "close" to the DVD video quality achieved by the 981.

In short, I don't have a clue as to the net audio difference between the 980/981 are really like, and what the video processing (Faroudja, Reon, etc.) will look like when everything comes together. To compund the confusion, it reads like Oppo may be coming out with a unit soon that has the audio benefits of the 980 and even better video than the 981????

You are about the only person I know that has touched all this stuff and understand what these acronyms really mean to us "less-technical and highly confused".

Thanks again,
Steve
P.S. we are already a wii and xbox 360 family...adding a PS3 would have low WAF in our house at this time... although I have played games on the PS3 and like it...A LOT!!!