I'm Jay Singer, 52, a husband, father of two, musician and teacher. I've always found that I can listen "through" any audio to the music that was under all the scratches, clicks n' pops. OTOH, the little old ladies unwrapping their cough drops at Severance Hall while I'm trying to listen to the CO drives me crazy! My portable ax, a Yamaha S80 was bought more for its "feel" rather than the sound (which is fairly good, btw.)
I started this ht thing by moving my Mackie speakers to the sides of an old crt. Then when I got the universal Pioneer player it opened the floodgates. I view my dvd's through a Sony Cineza front projector and the audio comes through 5 Mackies and the LFM-1, all controlled through the 950. Works beautifully for sacd's and dvd-a's as well as for ht. Best of all, my wife "gets it!" We are anticipating the arrival tomorrow of the Ekornes furniture to complete the room. Free advice: for those of you considering a large screen tv: go with a front projector for a less expensive yet higher quality picture.

Later!
Jay

PS See my tour journal at: http://aroundthelake.crazyguyonabike.com