Thanks for the congrats, folks. Mrs. gonk and I are both looking forward to the new arrival.

Quote:
And do you ever design GeoExchange systems as an alternative to boiler/chiller designs for your multi-zone projects? I use them, they work, and they are super efficient. In your climate hybrid solutions make a lot of sense.
Due in part to getting our power from TVA's generating grid, there is very little interest in ground source systems - my office did one recently on a smaller building, but that's probably the only one we've done in at least ten years. The projects that we use chillers and boilers on tend to be large enough that ground source systems could run the risk of upsetting the artesian springs that provide Memphis with drinking water, and the city is very protective of those springs. I wouldn't mind doing some thermal storage on a chiller plant, but the market is not suited for it because of the low utility rates. We do use a lot of waterside economizers in chiller plants, which can let the chillers stay offline through much of the winter on buildings with year-round cooling loads.