I’m Dave, originally from Pennsylvania, east of Pittsburgh, and now live in Maryland about 20 miles from Washington, DC.

I was introduced to the world of electronics, such as they were in the early 1960’s, by my father and grandfather. My father built DIY Hi-Fi equipment from Heathkit and my grandfather was an EE. With an aptitude for math and science, I started for a BS in EE at my grandfather’s alma mater, Carnegie-Mellon University. Feeling a need to be more involved with people in a creative way, I left the EE program and went into mass communication, but didn’t leave my technical abilities behind. I started professional A/V and television work in the mid 70’s in education support at a two year school and freelance work at a local television station. In the early 80’s I spent five years in the Middle East doing broadcast engineering and news/features production. In the late 80’s I returned to the US and worked in program and commercial editing. In the early 90’s I started my own business, specializing in custom video-wall programming and production, mostly used at trade shows and conventions, but also used for film, television, commercials, music videos, and large stage productions. In 2001 I began working for the US government in television news and information production for the Voice of America, which broadcasts in 40+ languages around the world.

Of three sons, one has graduated with a BS in Bio-Chemistry, one is deceased and one is struggling to find his way in life – I love them all dearly.

I enjoy the company of special people, nature, projects of an artistic or practical nature, including DIY electronics and home theater, sailing, scuba, soaring, photography and videography.

During a major industry trade show, I became interested in Velodyne subwoofers and Velodyne full-range loudspeakers. Because space was at a premium at home and often on the job, I ended up using a Sunfire Truesubwoofer before Velodyne had similar units, but still bought L/C/R Velodyne full-range speakers for their low distortion. Outlaw was not on the scene at the time, so an Onkyo THX Ampli-tuner was the center of my first HT system, which I enjoyed at home and occasionally used for clients. Among a few upgrades, I'm happy to say that Outlaw equipment is now the hub of my system, with a 950/ICBM/770 combo.

While I really enjoy the pursuit of audio purity on a budget, and I’m still an engineer/technician in my head, in my heart it’s the content that makes me laugh and soothes my soul.