I guess it's time I ring in on my "guess" as to what the RR2150 is. I debated whether or not to even post, as I'm pretty sure I actually own the RR2150 (or a prototype). Here goes...

I was in Taiwan a few weeks ago for a business trip, and I picked up something that I think might be a disguised RR2150 (maybe they have a test market over there?). It has all of the trademark Outlaw qualities, and is definitely a “one of a kind” product. However, I could be totally off on this one, you be the judge. If I’m right, the RR2150 is a WHEEL MOUNTED SUBWOOFER. That’s right, a combination subwoofer/wheel, I assume aimed at the high-end custom automotive audio market. Based on the size, it’s probably really intended for the tricked out SUVs owned by the likes of Shaq and all the rappers with nothing better to do with their money. I’m guessing you’ll be seeing a lot of these at the dB drag races this summer.

I’m not sure what the RR stands for – maybe Road Rage or something like that (these things will certainly annoy the heck out of your neighbors). The sub/wheels have a 21” diameter, and take a 50 series tire, thus the 2150 designation. I personally think PD2150 (Pimp Daddy 2150) would be a better name for them, but I’m no marketing genius. I think that if you wanted to be correct, the pronunciation whould be “R-R twinny-wun fiddy”.

The RR2150 is kind of hard to describe, but I'll do my best. Basically, you have a rather unusual speaker frame that doubles as the rim for the wheel. The magnet assembly on these things is monsterous, as it is an integral part of the driver, and is where the driver/wheel is mounted to the rest of the car. The cone of the sub is some sort of metal – maybe magnesium or aluminum (I wouldn’t put titanium past the Outlaws, either). An interesting thing to note is that the “suspension” of the cone is extremely rigid – pushing on the cone barely moves it. I suppose that’s to keep the thing durable over the potholes. The wheels also come with “spinners”, which is pretty cool. I only saw the one style there, but there might be others in the works (more on that later). Outlaw has come up with an ingenious spinning contact system, which appears to be durable enough to stand a lot of punishment. The spinners attach to the outside of the rim with some good quality bearings, so they’ll stay spinning through a 3 minute stoplight. And of course, the sub’s dust cap is the trademark Skittle green. The quality and craftsmanship is right on par with Outlaw’s other products. Beyond the green “dust cap”, the real giveaway as to the origins of the wheels is the shape of the “spinners”. The outside rim is intended to look like a lasso, and the center section is a guy wildly riding a horse. (For those of you that aren’t thrilled with the logo, don’t worry. When the wheels are spinning, it’s all just a blur!)

I’m not sure if Outlaw’s version will come with this, but each wheel I got also came with a 12oz can of “Pimp Juice”. The can claims that it is officially endorsed by Nelly. I’m not sure what the stuff is, but it drives the ladies wild! Kind of tastes like Mountain Dew with Pixie Sticks mixed in. There must be something else in it though, as it makes you particularly “smooth”. The proof is in the pudding – I think I conceived triplets on this stuff!

I’ve heard through the grapevine that Peter Tribeman is quite the “Pimp Daddy” himself. I’ve seen him in several pictures with the likes of P. Diddy, Snoop Dogg, and even some older shots with Notorious B.I.G., Tupac, and Run DMC. So that might explain the motivation behind this sort of a product.

I was going to try to get a picture of the RR2150’s on my Cadillac Escalade, but my stupid digital camera went dead on me. I had it in the truck with me last week, but I think the hard pounding of the RR2150’s may have killed most of the pixels.

If I’m way off on this one, I apologize. However, I do think this is an untapped market, and if this isn’t what the RR2150 really is, Outlaw better get on the ball and get something like this going, as this is DEFINITELY going to be the auto trend of the decade!

Jason

------------------