I just stumbled into this thread (excuse me!), and it got me thinking. In reality, stranded cables are really only groups of small, bundled, solid cables. Lena (smart indeed!) wrapped it all up pretty succinctly about the physics involved. My take is this: Use good quality copper cable (OFC or better). The largest guage that you can afford and use effectively. Solid is an interesting idea if you want to make a sculpture or an individualiy statement, but there's no real reason to go to the trouble. Use the highest quality connections with the most connetion-point surface area. In this case gold does make a difference due to it's conductivity and anti-corrosive characteristics. If you're going to solder your own connections, then make sure that you are good at it and use only silver solder. Any other kind of solder will introduce a less-conductive link in the chain and you've defeated the purpose. You can spend thousands of dollars on 'audio jewelry'. If that's what you're into, then
more power to you and I have a bridge that I'd like to sell you. If you follow the above principles, then you'll be fine.
Personal Observations: I'm very impressed with the Outlaw interconnects. High build quality, great-looking, good price. I'd be interested to see what they'd do with speaker cable. I've used all manner of connector types. I got used to Speakon connectors (Neutrik) in the professional realm, but they're not practical in the consumer world. I've soldered my own, etc. Presently I'm using banana plugs. High surface area, tight fit, and convenient. Just my choice.
Bottom Line: Listen with you're ears, not your eyes.
Mix