It's a shame that file-sharing can't easily be added to the IR-1000, as that is one of the best features of the Audiotron. A streaming server would be okay, too, but it would have to come in the box with the IR-1000 and run on Windows *and* Linux to be worth it. It would also have to be able to be remotely controlled from the IR-1000. On the other hand, the IR-1000 must also be able to be remotely controlled by a PC with a browser.

Oh, and it must handle MP3 and PCM at a minimum. QT, RA, and WMA if they want to throw it in. If it sounds like I want an Audiotron with a built-in AM/FM tuner and an Outlaw logo.... well, that's kind of what I want.

As far as CARP goes... Grrr...

But I also think that Outlaw shouldn't be trying to stick their finger in the wind quite as much as they are. I say, a good product is a good product, and if it becomes obsolete later, well so be it. I think many people would buy an IR-1000 as it exists now, and many more would buy an Ultimate Tuner, regardless of what CARP does. Yes, CARP may put a chill on Internet radio, but IR is here to stay (IMHO). There may be fewer stations, but I don't think there will be none. The big guys will survive. And I think that given time, copyright holders will have to come to their senses.

Plus, there will always be *ahem* underground stations.

For an Ultimate Tuner, however, software upgradability over the ethernet port becomes a *must*. Formats *will* change, and the device very well could be marginalized. Put all these features in one box... I'd buy it. Even if *every* IR station on the planet dries up in two years, I'll still be able to use it to play files off my HDD, and I'll still have a kick-ass AM/FM tuner.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net