As for the Audiotron's network support, I got this from the Audiotron site:

Quote:
Turtle Beach supports the following operating systems:
Windows 98/ Me/ XP/ XP Pro/ 2000 Pro/ NT4.0 Pro with service pack 6 or higher. NT4.0 also requires Internet Explorer 4.01 or higher. Note that Win98SE is required for Internet Connection Sharing.

Based on that, I'd say that you're looking at needing either a Windows-centric network or a network that at least allows for Samba to get the Audiotron going. (Samba's not too hard to get up and running, but I can see where it would be irritating to have to add another protocol for a single device. I think the included software is Windows only, too, but I'm not certain.

As for the Windows-centric nature of the IR1000, it's sort of hard to say still -- there's not enough info about it. WindowsCE is one of the few OS's around for a device like this. Linux would also have been an alternative (one of the few, possibly the only other), but I got the impression that part of the reason the IR1000 exists is that one of Outlaw's partners came up with something (probably software) that triggered the whole thing, and that original tech may have limited their options. It's also possible that going with WinCE gave them WMA support "out of the box." (Edit: Follow-up thought -- there's no way I know of to play back WMA under Linux, which may have helped push them to WinCE.) Either way, it's all speculation still. I've asked them about the IR1000 a couple times, and one time I did get pretty clear confirmation that MP3 is in its future. Time will tell...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited April 30, 2002).]