Quote:
Originally posted by kenty:
It would be nice to have everything hardwired, however if I was going to build a house right now I don't think I go through the expense of running CAT-5 cable everywhere. I'm sure most people feel the same way...wireless is the future, I just hope the outlaws jump on the bus!

(Wandering off topic for a moment...) Cat5 isn't a bad thing -- for some applications it is better than wireless (it'll take a long while to get as much bandwidth over wireless as you can do right now with 100base-T, and there's not the security concern with a hardwired connection). A lot of commercial buildings use Cat5 for both voice and data, partly because it gives you flexibility later (you could convert voice to data if you needed to and switching to voice over IP for the phones would not be a problem, for example) and partly because it's not really much additional cost (especially if it's installed in conduit or spaces where you don't need plenum-rated). I would probably not run Cat5 everywhere, but I might drop in select places with a run or two (entertainment center, office/study, spare rooms, and/or bedrooms) since there shouldn't be much additional cost -- and you can terminate it all yourself and save some cash, too. For existing homes and notebook computers, though, wireless is absolutely awesome.

------------------
Gonk